Friday 14 February 2014

A&E - or - how I was saved by organised chaos

For those of you from over seas - A&E is Accident and Emergency in the UK, and what is probably better known as an Emergency Room in America ect. Before Christmas (yes - this is overdue) I had a month on A&E as my placement, which was brilliant - I absolutely loved it!

I am one of those people who believe that it isn't a crisis until it can't be fixed by WD40 and gaffa tape! So I feel that A&E is perfect for me, it's all about "sorting stuff out", a patient comes in and we "sort them out" before they are either sent home or moved on to somewhere else in the hospital, we have 4 hours to patch them up, get them in a safe position and then we ship them on.

I learnt so much, there are moments when I feel helpless and hopeless and A&E just made me feel so hopeful and helpful! I was making a difference to people's lives at the moment when they need the most help in the world, either though grief, or through pain or suffering, through sickness and injury we are there, we will sort things out. Or that's the idea anyway!

In my time as a student nurse, I've seen patients die and although sad, in my case it was patients who were, not to put it crudely, dying already, the end was inevitable and expected. However on A&E I had my first experience of unexpected death, and unexpected sickness.

"We've all had days like that, haven't we? You make one small mistake, and because of that you make a bigger one. You leave your wallet by the bed. Then you go up to get it. You trip over the rug, you break your leg. Next thing you know, you're in hospital with a fatal infection. Just because you forgot your wallet."
Waking the Dead: Subterraneans  

I encountered many things in A&E, from the bizarre toilet brush in an uncomfortable place, to the common place accidents that taught me that no-one should be allowed to open a packing case before midday, from the un-eventful vomiting bugs, to the terrifying and family destroying diseases coming to a head. I learnt quickly that things happen every day that we can't predict, we make millions of decisions every day that effect us in a variety of ways, short term and long term.

"Life is fragile.
We're not guaranteed a tomorrow so give it everything you've got."

We can predict no-thing and we can't just let life pass up by, assuming that there's always tomorrow, because as I stood there doing chest compressions on a woman who had had a heart attack, I know that her husband hadn't woken up that morning imaging that he had only hours left with her, I know that when he had slept next to her the night before he hadn't know that it was the last time he would do so. In the same vein the woman who fell of a trapeze didn't imagine when she woke up that morning that she would spend that evening in surgery, and the woman who saw her son off to work after breakfast, didn't  imagine that by 9pm that evening she would be agreeing that his ventilator could be switched off.

Life has a way of throwing up the most unexpected hurdles, and just like any other hurdle we can either jump over them and continue onto the next hurdle, or they floor us and there is no recovery.

The perfect relationship? The perfect home? The perfect job?
And all this, all of it - it saved me, while on placement you're constantly looking for the thing, the department that inspires you and that you know you want to work in. 99% of us are always looking for that perfect something, the perfect relationship, the perfect home or the perfect job - and for student nurses it is exactly the same. Every placement we are assessing whether this is something we'd want to do when we're qualified, sometimes we have an enjoyable placement, but we couldn't do it for the next 40 odd years, sometimes we have a god awful placement, and sometimes we have a brilliant placement and we know - 100% that this is what we want to do. And that's how I felt on A&E, I felt completely reassured and confident in my choice to be a nurse, I was doing enjoyable jobs; dressings, IV's, neuro obs, ECG's ect - there was no routine and I loved that! No knowing what was coming through the doors, and I loved the unknown, the surprise, and the fact that I was making a minute by minute difference.

Now I don't want you to think that I only enjoyed A&E for some kind of adrenaline kick, I don't at all, the un-known is scary. But whereas on a ward I found it all too easy to feel lost and useless and bored in the endless shifts of drugs rounds, ward rounds and 6 hourly obs, in A&E there is no routine, you can be doing 15 min obs on a patient in cubical 1, while running through an IV on someone in 2, while awaiting bloods on someone in 3, everything is happening and you can see a patient improve or deteriorate under your care and nursing very quickly, and you have to be able to react to that in an instant.

Just to clarify, I am not knocking nurses who work on wards, they are brilliant - they are putting in the time to slowly build a patient back up to health! We are all superstars, it's just that some of us are superstars who like the slow and steady, and some of us are superstars who like the fast and furious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment