Sunday 11 August 2013

Student nurse placement haul!

This is going to be my run down of all the stuff that in my opinion are "must haves" for the student nurse on placement and quite a few are things that I hadn't thought off before I started so hopefully this'll help you too!




  • Your Uniform

    Might seem a little obvious, but you'd be surprised how long it takes for your uniform to arrive from your universities uniform supplier. It took me several months, and I actually had to use a non university-logoed tunic for my first placement because it was taking them so long to get the logoed ones sent out. So be prepared! You can also get a rebate on the cost of your uniform from the uni, but remember to get your application in before the deadline ... unlike me!
  • ID + holder

    Depending on your university and depending on the trust you are training will affect the type of ID you
    need. For example my trust wanted us to use our normal uni ID for hospital ID, whereas other student nurses with other trusts needed them to get a special Trust ID for student nurses. Any induction days at your trust should tell you about this, but make sure you have what you need. And make sure you have a durable ID holder: some hospitals don't let you use lanyards, and some are fastened with clips kind of like a clothes peg which I don't like because I found it dragged my tunic pocket and annoyed me. There's a kind called a lever clip which I prefer because I found it kept my ID flat against my hip. Similarly if your ID is a hospital ID which opens doors to department and wards then you might want it kept on an extendible ID holder so you don't have to take it off your uniform to use it on doors.
  • Pens!
    If you ever want to know how a smoker feels when trying to find a cigarette at 3am then try not having a pen for 5 minutes on the ward. There's a desperation that takes you over as you hunt and hunt and hunt and no-one else seems to be lurking about with a spare pen. So always have a pen in your tunic, and if you want my advice, then always keep a spare in your bag so that that morning when you over sleep and forget a pen - the it's not the end of the world!
  • A good quality stain remover
    Your uniform WILL get grotty, and grubby and manky. From general dirt, medication spills or in my
    The night shift where my pen
    decided to explode!
    case biro ink! You kind of want to look as presentable as possible for most of the time, so I would recommend investing in some good stain remover. Especially since your uniform will most likely be white, bleach is also pretty good, but it's more or a high maintenance cleaning method as it's a kind of keep an eye on your washing kind of method!
  • Lunch box and water bottleYou might be buying lunch at the hospital or you might be bringing a packed lunch, either way I'd recommend having a Tupperware box and a water bottle. Many housekeepers run very strict staff fridges, mine wasn't alowed to hold plastic carrier bags which is why even if I was buying a sandwich from the shop I would shove it in a tupperwear box, you may also find that your houskeeper on the ward requires you to put your name and todays date on your luch - and that's just easiser with tupperwear! Some people are a bit funny about drinking tap water so there are some really funky water bottles you can buy with a kind of built in water filter in the cap. I have never used one so I can't really recommend it, but I know loads
    of people in yoga use them and love them so ...
  • Jewellery retainersThis one's quite a specific one! But for those of you with any piercings that are facial then you might want to invest in a piercing retainer. If you haven't seen them they're flesh coloured studs that make your piercing almost invisible and because they're flexible they're really safe.
    Depending on your hospital they might be totally cool with you having a facial piercing, or like mine they might not be cool at all! Mine isn't so I wear one in my nose piercing but it's up to you, although it's something worth looking into and considering buying.
  • Hair and MakeupOne for the girls among us perhaps! General rule of thumb for nursing staff is that your hair should be above your collar, you'll see plenty of people disobaying this rule, but the only way to escape a bollocking is to follow it. Also - quite aside from any kind of infection control it makes me gag to think of my hair hanging into a wound or something! So I always wear my hair in a bun, a normal bun tends to fall out in my hair so I use a bun doughnut, it was about £2 from Tesco and I wear it every day - so I can't really recommend it highly enough!
    Also invest in a good quality moisturiser and foundation, I'm not one for high end brands or anything - but I haven't found a foundation that stays as well over a 12 hour shift as Bobbi Brown's Skin foundation SPF 15. And the combination of no air, hot wards and long hours with little sleep wreaks havoc on my skin - so make sure to invest in some kick ass moisturiser. I love Simple's light moisturiser but go for what you love!

So I hope that that list is all right for you all - it's not all encompassing and it's not total, and it's just my own personal list of what I felt is needed most on placement. So feel free to comment on what other things you think might be needed, and a massive good luck to anyone starting their nursing course this September!

No comments:

Post a Comment