Sunday 11 August 2013

Just jump in!

This was a piece of advice that I gave to a nurse starting her first placement, on my latest placement I was faced with so many opportunities to try out new skills that I had observed, like making up IV's, catheterising, dressings and passing NG (naso-gastric) tubes. But a lot of these things i.e. the NG tube, will happen occasionally and not on a lot of wards, so if you get the chance to do one - then do it!
A properly placed NG tube on an X-ray

Over my 10 week placement, but the time I reached my 9th week I had seen two NG's being passed, and while on a night shift one needed doing. So - putting on my best confident in this face I asked to do it. It was terrifying, it's easy to put an NG down the trachea instead of the oesophagus for example. (For the record - that is a bad idea!) And obviously, shoving a tube down someone's nose isn't much fun for them, and a lot of people have really strong gag reflexes, some people will try and hit you, scratch you and kick you, but after a point it becomes more important to get the tube down to their stomach to feed them than to avoid being maimed. With the 12 hour shifts and the missed breaks and the poor pay, half the fun of nursing is getting to be a martyr and striding into the house at 8am after a night shift to proclaim: "I got kicked in the stomach tonight but at least Mr Smith isn't going to go into a diabetic coma on my watch!"

Edith Cavell .
A WW1 British nurse, executed for helping Allied soldiers escape occupied Belgium. 
So my tip to the lovely student nurse I met on my (now former) ward, was to just jump in, if you see someone about to do something that you're interested in, then go on and ask if you can watch. I've watched:


  • Chest drains, ( I actually became part of Dr Williams' Chest Drain Dream Team!)
  • Lumbar punctures,
  • PICO dressings,
  • A Bronchoalveolar lavage,
  • Seen some really funky wounds,
  • Passed an NG tube,
  • Removed cannulas 
  • Watched a load of X-Rays


and many many more things besides. Speaking to the fellow student nurse, she was nervous and was a bit unsure about how to get to do stuff. I tried to reassure her and now I'm trying to reassure you guys too - the way to gain experience is to nag, wheedle and blag your way into watch procedures, because once you've watched once or twice, you can offer to lend a hand for the next few, and after that you can ask to do them yourselves.
Experience breeds Competence

I've now finished that particular 10 week placement, and it's now onwards and upwards, that pesky assignment that I was worried I had failed I passed so I'm clear to move onto the second year! I've moved out of halls (or the prison-cum-psychiatric hospital that my Mam christened it) and into my new shared house which is very exciting, it's going to be fun if a little difficult, we're all very different people with big personalities, different interests, different senses of humour and everything so I'm sure sparks will fly but we're all really close friends and we all love alcohol and bacon so I'm sure that things wont be too bad!

The idea that I'm now a second year student nurse is terrifying, 1/3 of the way through my course, my Mam pointed out that I left high school and started 6th form 3 years ago - and in 3 years time, I'll be a qualified in my blues, hopefully doing everything right (ish)

I'll speak to you all soon, and if any of you are particularly interested then my next post is going to be a "Student nurse haul" blog post, about what you will need for those of you starting your training in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment