Thursday 29 November 2012

Surgery

Today, while on the ward I was "spoked" out into theater, I got to watch surgery. It was scary and not something I would want to work in, HOWEVER it was bloody fantastic to see, one operation was the filling away of inflamed cartilage in a patients knees, it was a laparoscopy so in terms of blood guts and gore there wasn't much on offer, and it was very interesting, to see all the bone and cartilage, and fluid and how it all sits together, but - watching a man file away at some cartilage was horrible, however good it is for the patient, it still looked like they were raping her knee. I was demoralised and feeling sad I hadn't enjoyed it, especially since I was looking forward to going in to watch some surgery, but a saviour came in the form of Bob the anaesthetist, who sent me off to Theater C, after the first knee had been completed, theater C had a hemicolectomy, the removal of a portion of the colon. This was far more up my street.

The colon is part of the bowel, and so before surgery the patient must have an enema to "empty the field" it was only after I had left the theatre that I realised that this particular patient had been admitted by me this morning, and I had watched him have his enema - not glamorous or exciting but I did like the circle of life quality of my day! Seeing the guts of this man out on the table was incredible, however many diagrams and photographs of the internal organs one sees, you never realise how much there actually is inside of you, in terms of sheer volume, there is shed loads let me tell you! I'm amazed that it all fits in, it makes you think "OH - that's why I haven't got a flat tummy!" because there is so much inside of you that makes you work, I mean you could fill buckets with the amount of stuff there is going on in there - honestly! I'm quite small a person, and I'm amazed that there's room.

Before the first surgery I helped to put the patient under, I held, the mask in place, and pushed the tube to help her breath once she was anaesthetised into her windpipe. If you want to know what one looks like: it looks like a rubber vagina on the end of a tube ... obviously!

I'm just about to come to the end of my first placement, and it had honestly been a completely fantastic fortnight, I've learnt skills, I've made friends, and I've met so many great patients who I hope are all now well on the way to recovery! I've met the worlds sexyest anaesthetist this side of anywhere, (who doesn't wear a wedding ring, and I've put my colleagues on the task of finding out if he's married haha!) and I've learnt the pain of putting TED stockings on patients, TEDs are the work of the devil and are evil to put on people, (think insanely tight flight socks) but are useful in preventing DVT's.

Oh - and I've become the queen of doing blood sugar testing!










No comments:

Post a Comment