Thursday 22 November 2012

Today is why I became a nurse!

Not a particularly original topic for my blog I grant you, but none the less. Today, the 4 mile round trip on my bike in the pouring rain at 6:00 was all worth while, it's so easy as a student nurse to get bogged down with exams and assignments that fill our lives, it's easy to feel useless and shitty when you have no idea what you're doing - but today a patient almost died, and I helped save his life, not much, I mean I wasn't performing open heart surgery or anything, but I was on hand, and taking obs and when the family were crying and thanked us all as they left, I though - yeah, I did that, that's why I want to be a nurse, to look after people.
I'm no fool - I know that it wont always be so easy, and the outcome wont always be so good. And in all honesty, that patient was seriously ill - us saving them now, isn't going to give them another 20 years. But we did a little something - and sometimes that's all you can ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment